Sunday, August 26, 2012

Good luck.



Yesterday I went to Barnes & Noble by myself to relax a little bit. I perused the shelves slowly. Reading all sorts of binding. From classics, to the disturbing latest teen books, to the poetry... As I gazed down the isles I felt collected and calm. That is, until I had a visiter while enjoying the art books. A woman stood beside me and started to tell me about an art book sale at some store. That was nice, so I thanked her. She then asked if I was serious about art. I told her yes, that I'm planning to major in art at college. "What do you plan to do with that?" She wondered aloud. "My dream is to become an Art Therapist. But we'll see." I replied. Her answer? "Ha! Good luck with that one!"

Back away from the tactless woman.

Good luck with that one? Really? I didn't let her less-than-encouraging attitude bother me. I just allowed it to perplex me for sometime. I just wonder what was going on in her mind in those moments. Do I look like a lost cause? Are hopes and ambitions pointless to her? How sad to think that she feels so hopeless about reaching for goals that she'd say that to someone else. It came out of her mouth in such a casual way, she had to be used to saying things like that.

Anyway, I also had a man ask me how much I made in two years. Um. None of your business. And the guy staring at me while I was trying to read a book made my concentration (and enjoyment of the book) fly out the window. Barnes & Noble alone is not the trip I was hoping for. Oh well. I guess I'll start going there when I need a good laugh, or a few creeper stories.

xoxo, madeline claire

P.S. I bought a book titled, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankle. He's a famous psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor. The book is about his journey within the concentration camp. I'm very excited to read it.

1 comment:

  1. I've had some creepy B&N experiences myself. As for what that woman said, I wouldn't take it too personally. If she was in the art section, chances are that she too loves art, but maybe something happened to make her lose sight of her dreams, which is really one of the saddest things to ever happen to a person. As far as I'm concerned, you'll make a phenomenal art therapist. :)

    ReplyDelete