Sunday, June 10, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close



"Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing  journey." - from Goodreads

So many emotions hit me while reading this story. Crying was unavoidable, laughter was impossible to suppress and wonder filled my mind. After I saw the film, (Film post) I was determined to read the book. I'm glad I did but I also have to be honest. Honestly, I had to skim in some chapters because the content was well... interesting. It made me sad because the beauty of the story was sometimes lost in a worldly distortion. Still, the journey Oskar goes on, the pain and devastation, along with the joy and healing rang true. Oskar was an extremely well invented character, as a young boy with Aspergers everything he saw was in such a different light that what most people experience. All the moments were Oskar missed his dad, was angry at his mom and hated the very thought of his school friends was so honest and real. The entire time I was reading I felt like I was reading about something that our world ignores. How Foer did it, I don't know. But he created a beautiful story with such depth into the human mind, such feeling towards the loss on September 11th, leaving that story saved in my memory for always.


“The meaning of my thoughts started to float away from me, like leaves that fall from a tree into a river, I was the tree, the world was the river.” - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close


"The boy asked the girl to say 'I love you' into her can, giving her no further explanation. And she didn't ask for any, or say 'That's silly' or 'We're too young for love,' or even suggest that she was saying 'I love you' because he asked her to. Instead she said, 'I love you' [...] The boy covered his can with a lid, removed it from the string, and put her love for him on a shelf in his closet. Of course, he never could open the can, because he would lose its contents. It was just enough to know it was there." - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

No comments:

Post a Comment